Facial fillers are products such as collagen, hyaluronic acid and calcium hydroxyl apatite that rejuvenate facial skin by reducing or eliminating wrinkles, raising scar depressions, enhancing lips and replacing soft-tissue volume loss through facial injections. With age, our skin becomes more susceptible to wrinkles and sagging. Exposure to sun and years of muscle movement ( squinting, chewing, smiling ) contribute to tissue breakdown of the skin.
Facial fillers are temporary to long-lasting solutions administered through a few tiny facial injections on specific areas of the face. Various types of facial fillers are available; each is designed with one or several purposes, such as wrinkle reduction and lip augmentation. Facial fillers will volumize creases and folds in the face in areas that have lost fat and collagen as we age. Hyaluronic acid is the natural filler substance in your body. The face starts to lack volume and appears aged with deeper nasolabial folds, unaesthetic marionette lines, a deeper mentalis fold, the lips start to thin, and turning down the corners of the lips. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm are then injected extraorally right underneath these folds to replace the volume lost which creates a younger look in the face. Dermal fillers can be used for high lip line cases, asymmetrical lips around the mouth, lip augmentation, and completing cosmetic dentistry cases by creating a beautiful, young-looking frame around the teeth.
In general, the results from most injectable fillers are temporary; commonly lasting from a few months to about a year. This depends on the type of facial fillers or filler injections used. For optimal results, additional treatment sessions are encouraged.
How to care for the injection site?
Follow these post filler instructions to ensure your treatment runs its course effectively:
- Avoid pressure on the treated area for 6 hours after treatment. During the post filler stage (after your injections) the area can be washed gently with soap and water, but do not scrub or exfoliate.
- Do not apply makeup or any other cosmetic product for at least 2 hours after your treatment.
- When applying makeup, apply it gently, avoiding strenuous rubbing of the injection site for the first 2-3 days afterwards.
- If you must touch the area, it is very important to wash your hands prior to doing so.
- Apply a cold compress or ice pack wrapped in a thin cloth as soon as possible following injection to help minimize swelling & bruising. Apply for 15 minutes to the injected sites, then rest 30 minutes.
- Repeat icing during the course of the evening on the day of your injection.